Good interior designers realize that picking out interior designer paint colors that's just right for you will be an important step in your design project.
It's very important to be educated about paint because the paint you choose will be the backdrop for your design.
There are many different types of paint to use. Here are four of them:
1. Primer - comes in oil or water based, goes under the top coat
2. Latex - most popular because it is easy to use, quick to dry and relatively inexpensive
3. Lacquer - seldom used because it is sprayed
4. Alkyd-base (oil based) -has great durability and special brushes are required
Paints can also be purchased in different sheens. Here are 4 of them:
1. Gloss - often used for woodwork, base boards and moldings
2. Semi-gloss - chosen for kitchen and bath because it has a hard finish and more sheen
3. Satin or eggshell - has more durability than flat and is less porous
4. Flat - sometimes called matte, has no shine
How do I select a paint color?
Ask yourself these questions.
How is this room going to be used?
If it is a master bathroom where you put on make-up, then you might not want it too dark because dark colors suck up lots of light making it hard to see.
How do you want this room to feel?
If you have a large white room that looks stark and feels uncomfortable, then you might want to use more color. If you live in a warm climate, then you might consider a cooler color on the walls like soft blue or turquoise. If you want a warmer feel, then you should consider using soft gold, bronze or a soft yellow.
How can I use paint to save money?
Everyone loves the look of a paneled library but it is also very expensive. You might only panel half way up, then paint the wall in a rich mahogany color. Make sure you use plenty of light in this darker colored room.
When you have some selections that you like, go to the paint store and buy a small can of paint in the color you think you like and paint it on a piece of poster board or drywall (2’ x 3’). Do not just paint it on a wall in your room. You need to be able to move it around in your room because light will change the way it looks. This is the time to be cautious and thorough. Mistakes with paint can be very expensive.
Visit our website for more information or call today for an In-Home Consultation (888) 416-0646